Sunday 19 April 2009

Yarrow Valley Country Park

My third visit in just over a week, this beautiful place is becoming a firm favourite with me. My main aim was to improve on my pictures of the resident Dipper and anything else would be a bonus, the park itself consists of bodies of water called Lodges and has the River Yarrow running through the heart of it. But my day started with an hour on two trains and a short 10 minutes cycle from the railway station at chorley, the park itself, has a visitors centre and can be very busy on weekends, with dog walkers, and families, but you can always find a quiet spot as it covers a large area.
I walked to the weir and fish pass, taking in the views and stopping now and then to watch any birds for opportunities to photograph, plenty of the garden variety and quite a few warblers around, my first pics were of the dipper investigating a pipe in the weir but they were too far away, but i managed to find an Orange tipped white butterfly.I was also lucky enough to find a pair, matingthen the Dipper turned up in a better position
Time for a change of view before lunch, so i walked up the hill in hopes, more than expectation, of a Grasshopper Warbler, no luck, but plenty of Chiffchaffs and Willow, after lunch i sat down in a quiet spot by the river for an hour or two and let the world go by.
The, a final walk back to the weir, and my best picture yet
And the Wagtails obliged too, cannot recommend this place highly enough and will be returning in the not too distant future

Frank

2 comments:

  1. YVC is a favourite with lots of folks from Chorley NATS. I wouldn't be surprised if some walked past you as you were having your picnic...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've no doubt they did, we should all wear badges LOL

    ReplyDelete