Tuesday 2 June 2009

Mere Sands Wood


Haven't spent as much time around here as i should do, lately, as it is a cracking little wildlife haven and compares favourably with it's more commercial neighbours. Anyway, this is just a general report of the state of play at this time of year on what you may expect to see, as it was the bank holiday weekend i spent all three days of it and the following weekend there, at the moment the place is awash with common blue Damselflies, i even spotted a large red this weekend

My first full day was last sunday, started with a brief view of the Kingfisher in hover mode, which i tried to capture








This was followed by a very nice view of a Fox wandering onto the island and then wandering off again, very nonchalant, i must say







Then it was Kingfisher action all the way, i will let the pictures do the talking





















Other birds on show were Crested Grebe with youngster, Little Grebes nesting, Tufted Ducks, Reed, Willow and Sedge Warblers and a nice Whitethroat nesting behind the visitors centre





and a few Four Spotted Chasers












And a Heron making a meal of a very large fish











Now i'm off to plan next weeks trip to Bassenthwaite for the Osprey and three chicks
hope to report on that next week

bye for now

2 comments:

  1. Hi Frank, I've just awarded you with the Kreativ Blogger Award. The 'rules' are listed on my blog. I enjoy reading your blog and admire your photos. You did a lot better at Mere Sands than I did the last time I went...

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely photos, specially the kingfishers, I'm waiting patiently to see the three kingfishers that are rumoured to be living along my local river, not seen them for ages, but your photos give me a taste...

    ReplyDelete